Sunday, October 19, 2008

I Am.

When you teach your son, you teach your son's son. ~The Talmud

"Are you proud of me?" He asks me dozens of times every day, his face so hopeful. Are you proud of me for brushing my teeth? Are proud of me for putting my shoes away? For washing my hands? For picking up my toys? For finishing my lunch? For finishing your lunch? For peeing standing up?

And the answer, of course, of course, is always YES! For all those things and a million others.

On his best day, every request is followed by a please and a thank you. Every door is opened for me if his little four year body is strong enough to push it wide and his sweet little voice says "After YOU, Mommy". On his worst day a raised eyebrow will produce the forgotten thank you and a pause before a closed door will cause him leap forward to help push it open. I was walking into work tonight behind a man who knew I was only a footstep behind but who let every door slap back in my face...door after door after door. Was it his job to hold the door open for me? No, absolutely not, although I've been in that position hundreds of times and I've always held the door for the person behind me, be it man or woman. Wouldn't it have just been common courtesy? I certainly think so. Guys People like that are why I never waiver in teaching Lucas manners and chivalry. There seems to be so few gentleman left in this world...I'm trying my hardest to strengthen their numbers.

3 comments:

pmd said...

Friggin' Neanderthal!

Anna said...

I KNOW!!

Anonymous said...

I hope I can do as good of a job with my Son!

And that guy... wow. YES. I always keep the door open for people behind me (although I hate when people hurry to get through the door I'm holding open--that makes me feel like I'm bothering rather than helping!)