Sunday, October 26, 2008

It's Not All Fun and Games 'Round Here.

I gladly would've traded my kid for a pack of gum yesterday. Gladly.

I got him all dressed up in his costume and drove two towns away and fought the masses at the mall to bring him trick or treating. It was supposed to be followed by a kids' costume parade, but we didn't make it that far. This child of mine that chats up strangers every where we go burst into tears at the first store. "I'm shyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!" he wailed, head in arm, leaning against the wall, working on his Oscar. "I can't dooooooooooooo it!" "I want my costume ooooooooooffff!"

Well, that was fun. No amount of convincing worked and when I hissed into his ear that he needed to pull it together or we were going home, he gladly took my hand and started pulling me to the door. "Good. I just want to be in my own home." he says. What four year old doesn't want free candy? I don't get it. He's lucky Grandma rescued him from his evil free-candy-offering mother for the afternoon...I mean, who knows what I might have offered to do next?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Guess what? I KNOW just exactly how he felt...there is no comfort place like home (and Grandma!). Sorry the day was a washout, but so glad he could express his fear so clearly.
ILYOMTYCESx2-AM

Anonymous said...

I had a somewhat similiar experience this weekend. There was a party for the kids at my work and Son wouldn't wear the top "half" of his costume. Just the pants, which no one would know were even part of a costume.

He gladly took candy, however, and I had to work hard to keep him away from all the chocolate and cookies (peanut allergy).

pmd said...

While reading your post I could feel the clash. You are so go-with-the-flow I can only imagine your frustration. It's a good thing he's so stinkin' cute.

Anna said...

SWM: Yeah...I have to keep reminding myself that he's only four...and maybe my expectation that every adventure will be a fun one is a bit unrealistic.

Pam: So, Halloween might be a bummer this year...are you taking Sam out? Maybe we could have a movie night instead? ;-)