Tuesday, April 22, 2008

I Shall Poll the Audience

On a scale of 1 to 10, please rate the following scenario, 1 being "Oh my, how's that migraine coming along" and 10 being "Oh my, what a lovely sounding day you've had!":

I put my friend's wee little daughter in her Kelty backpack and strapped her to my back, for today was a hiking day, and we were about to tackle a very tame trail with the boys in our efforts towards fitness. Lucas was very excited for about the first 15 feet, and then it began...carry me, my feet hurt, my head hurts, it's too hot, I can't make it, we're going too fast, wait for me, whaaaa I stepped on a stick, whaaaa I stepped on a leaf, put that baby down and caaaaaaaaaaaarry meeeeeeeeeee. Oh my good heavens. Like I could even actually carry that full grown boy in a Kelty backpack anyway. It never ended. The entire hike was a colossal whine-fest. By the end I was ready to leave him in the woods. We cut the hike short because I had to (blessfully) go to work.

At the very least, I can say that I must have burned some calories. Not from carrying the sweet little girl in the backpack, but from dragging my pitiful son the entirety of the trail. I am exhausted just remembering it. My friend said that by the tenth time we did that trail, Lucas would just race right though it without any trouble, and I almost teared up thinking of going through that nine more times. We are clearly not yet good at being outdoorsy people.

No comments: