Saturday, November 8, 2008

I Call UNCLE!

This has been kind of a crappy week, behavior wise. And I mean both Lucas's behavior and also my reaction to it. I am so sick of the sassy backtalk and the disrespectful tone AND THE WHINING AND THE CRYING! I don't know what I'm doing wrong these days, I really don't. A big part of me thinks I making too big a deal out of the past couple of weeks of constant sass and all the tears about absolutely nothing, because honestly, he's usually a very chill kid and our days are easy. I am praying that the good times have not fallen by the wayside and I am praying even harder that this miserable attitude is just a phase. Someone please tell me this is just a phase.

I understand that "four" is all about exerting one's independence, and yup...we're there. Every time we go to Costco he flips out in line because I won't just hand him the money to pay and go wait by the door. Because he wants to DO IT HIMSELF! He's been removed (by me) from several stores lately for inappropriate behavior, and just yesterday barked at a store clerk to "stop following him through the store!" (I did make him apologize, but jeez, how embarrassing.)

Am I making a mountain out of a mole hill? Am I expecting too much from him? He is only four but I refuse to let him be disrespectful, no matter the age. And also? How do I make the whining stop? That has been thorn in my side from day one...

2 comments:

pmd said...

Oy. I'm no stranger to bad behavior. Your Lucas really is a good boy. I know the whining must be super hard for you because you are the complete opposite a whiner. I recall a story about you as a little girl shopping with your mom at Le Sears? To be specific, the bathroom fixture isle? They can be embarressing at this age. Don't worry, you'll have plenty of opportunities to return the favor when he's older.

Anna said...

pmd: HA! Hey...when you goota go, you gotta go!

And we already seemed to have turned a corner and he's mostly back to his own seet self...thank GOD! ;-)