Saturday, December 8, 2007

I'm Thankful For...

You know, there are times throughout the day when I have the urge to send my son right outside and lock the door behind him, lucky for him it's winter my conscience gets the better of me. But...there are also times when he is so sweet and kind that I could just eat him right up!

We were at a bagel shop for lunch on Thursday and we ordered our bagels and drinks and sat down at the only available both. It only took a second to figure out why it was available when the shop itself was quite busy...a couple of homeless men were sitting in the window and the smell was really quite something. Please don't think that this is going to be some wonderful post about how Lucas and I went and fed them and had a wonderful teaching experience about how we are all the same...blah, blah, blah. That would have been lovely, I'm sure. However, as soon as sat down I realized that their conversation was as foul as their odor. I have never in my life heard two people speak so lewdly in public...or quite possibly anywhere...ever. I looked up just in time to see another booth open up far, far away and I scooped us up and grabbed it quick.

All settled in to our new warm-bagel-smelling-obscenity-free booth, Lucas and I dug into our lunch. We always get the same thing, olive cream cheese bagels and BBQ chips, and every time he asked me a question my mouth was full and I covered it with my hand to answer him. After a few minutes, I noticed he kept covering his own mouth every time he took a bite of bagel and I asked him if everything was okay. He told me "I'm just like you, Mom, I do everything just like you...right?" Oh! I love this child of mine. He's right. He is just like me. And I couldn't be happier. I'm lucky for my life. I am blessed, and it seems silly that something little like that could have made me get all emotional, but I got choked up. He is a great kid, and even though his whining can sometimes pierce my brain with it's fierceness, I need to remember how lucky I am to have him. Not just today, or just during the holidays, but everyday.

I asked him that night as I snuggled him on my lap, "Why do I love you so much?" And he said, "Cause I'm your boy." That's right...your my boy, and I wouldn't have life any other way.

No comments: