Sunday, August 31, 2008

By Any Other Name...

We were driving in the car to my Mom's house today to drop Lucas off on my way to work and he asked me, "Sometimes I call you Anna and sometimes I call you Mom, right"? And I spent a few minutes explaining to him that no, you really shouldn't call me Anna unless you are introducing me to a friend or asking a police officer for help, in which case you tell him you are Lucas Benjamin Lastname and that your mom's name is Anna Ellen Lastname (both of which he already knows.) And then the conversation took a hard left he started sputtering that that was the most ridiculous name he ever heard, and wouldn't Fish-paste be a better choice...for both of us. Dude...I don't even like fish, so I'm thinking Anna Ellen Fish-paste doesn't have quite the right ring to it...don't think I'll switch my checks over just yet. And also, what on earth? Thank heavens I poured over baby books and accepted hundreds of helpful suggestions (imagine helpful suggestions in air quotes) to find just the right name for my child, one that he could be proud of for decades to come. And he'd rather be Fish-paste. Ingrate.

4 comments:

Kellan said...

He's so funny - that was so cute!

Hope you have had a good weekend, Anna - good to see you - Kellan

Anonymous said...

Fish-paste? He is definitely related to his uncle Jack who could come up with a new, creative word in a heartbeat. Today I visited my friend's little farm-refreshing Labor Day break from all the new school responsibilites. Now I 'm ready to begin again! I have access to a book/CD about the Itsy Bitsy Spider and other rhymes. Would you like me to get it for Luke to donate to the library that was so good to him this summer?
ILYOMTYCESx2-AM

Anonymous said...

This is the first time I've ever read your blog. I found it on another blog:)

But Im the mom of two boys and I can relate. I giggled the whole time I read your post. That is too cute.

Amie

Anonymous said...

lol. Fish-paste does sound kind of tough.