Sunday, September 2, 2007

I Would Make a Lousy Short Order Cook

I asked Lucas what he wanted for lunch today, and I got a long string of requests for foods that we don't have in the house at this moment. It went a little something like this:

Lucas: I would 'yike some 'wunch Mom.
Me: OK...what you do what?
Lucas: An apple.
Me: Oh, I'm sorry, we don't have any apples right now.
Lucas: Then I want a banana.
Me: We don't have any bananas, either.
Lucas: Then I want a yogurt.
Me: (Cringing a little) Nope...no yogurt, either...sorry buddy.
Lucas: (Gets up from his little recliner and marches out to the kitchen to check in the fridge himself.) I want some eggs!
Me: (Realizing the eggs have expired a few days before) Well, I don't think those eggs are any good...how about grilled cheese? (I toss the egg carton into the trash)
Lucas: Hey Mommy! You crazy! I wanted 'os eggs for my 'wunch!

Clearly it's hard having a mother who doesn't keep a fully stocked fridge...of course, if I had all of those things he really wanted in the house...he would've asked for grilled cheese...and we would have been out, of course!

No comments: